Friday, November 02, 2007

Tolkeinian Imagery

For those who've seen the Return of the King, I would best describe our property today as looking like the aftermath of the battle at Minas Tirith, minus the dead Orks strewn around. We are enshrouded with wafting smoke, and small fires dot the landscape in the twilight, creating a strange, quiet, eerie effect.

Anyway, the bulk of the burning is done, and all that remain are some smouldering piles that need to be raked up in the morning. (with the excavator)

We've had intermittent light snow today, cold and cloudy, the temperature hovering a few degrees below freezing. There's a light layer of snow in the areas that aren't getting any direct sunlight now, and I believe that it's time for the annual accumulation to begin.

The heated water tub for Buck and Rupert has come out of hibernation and is back in use. This is a godsend in the winter, otherwise we'd be breaking ice several times a day. We keep the hose that attaches to the hydrant in the pumphouse to keep it from freezing, only bringing it out when it's time to fill the water tub.

3 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

I haven't called about the soap making yet, as I have been waiting to see if this tooth was a "real" problem ... before making such a quick, return trip to the coast. I shouldn't have dillied around because now I phone and find my dentist (ov over 20 years) gone this next week! I'm not sure what to do next. We may go down and see what the office can arrange for us ... as they must have someone to look after emergencies! I guess we'll eventually have to find a dentist up here. Any recommends?

Ruth said...

I like your Tolkeinian Imagery. Maybe that is the movie I will put on tonight....

Berni said...

I know exactly how it must look. Great imagery.