Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Lone Butte General Store Burned Last Night

This morning I left home around 6:30 a.m. for a trip to Kamloops before the heat of the day. I was very surprised to see six fire trucks and an ambulance in "downtown" Lone Butte! The store had caught fire in the night. Because it's a metal building, it's hard to gage the damage, but I'm sure it's pretty much a total loss. Three volunteer fire departments responded, and their efforts helped prevent disaster, as there are gas pumps and a huge propane tank on the lot.

The loss of the store is a big loss for a small community. It also serves as a gas station, and a liquor store. I hope they'll soon rebuild.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear about the store fire. Brought back some pretty sad memories for myself and family. In January 1973 the original Lone Bute Store burnt down leaving my family of 7 homeless as my parents at the time owned the store Carl & Betty Kreiger. My dad Carl rebuilt the store at the present location. My parents sold the store in 1976 and moved away however at least once a year one of my siblings would visit our old store and recall memories of our childhood in Lone Bute, B.C.

Amy said...

Oh no!! That really is terrible news for the community :(

Karen & Mike said...

How interesting to hear some of Lone Butte's history...thanks for sharing your memories. Quite by chance on Sunday, I met the gentleman who did much of the original wiring on the most recent entity of the store.